The Susan D. Barton Music Competition
The Susan D. Barton Music Competition has been postponed for the Fall of 2020
NEW: The 2020 Competition will introduce a division for students under the age of 10.
The Young Artists Orchestra will host the annual Susan D. Barton Music Competition in November 2020. Recently named after longtime Las Vegas music teacher, Susan Barton, the competition is open to all students in Southern Nevada regardless of YAO affiliation. The competition will be divided into two divisions – a Jr. division for students aged 14 and under, and a Sr. division for students 15-22. Up to $1,000 will be awarded in cash prizes. Please read competition rules listed below.
1. Competition is open to all students in Southern Nevada regardless of LVYAO affiliation.
2. Competitors must be under the age of 14 to enter the Jr. Division, and 15-22 to enter the Sr. Division. Age is based on the day of the competition.
3. Competitors may compete with a string, wind, and percussive instrument. Piano students will not be eligible for the 2018 competition. Guitar players are welcome to apply. Please email us if you have eligibility questions.
4. Competitors must have an accompanist for the competition, but may also compete with solo repertoire.
5. Competitors must compete in the preliminary round. All musicians will play 5 minutes of their piece at the preliminaries.
6. Each competitor will have up to 10 minutes to perform their selection at live competition. If the competitor goes over 10 minutes, then the judges will have the final say on whether to stop the soloist. Musicians will not be penalized if they are stopped.
7. Competitors may perform more than one movement, but will still have to abide by the 10 minute rule stated in rule (1).
8. Competitors who also participated in the Carol Jackson Concerto Competition must perform different repertoire. Competitors may not repeat programs.
9. All decisions are final. Judges will decide on a first, second, and third place winner in each division.
10. Winners of the Susan Barton Competition agree to perform and/or be featured at upcoming fundraising or special events.
2018 JR. Division Winners
1st – Shyler Macaggi (viola) – Student of Yunior Lopez
2nd – Jayden Kim (violin) – Student of Hyelin Jung
3rd – Carolyn Salvador (violin) – Student of Yunior Lopez
2018 SR. Division Winners
1st – Jordan Farber (bassoon) – Student of Kevin Eberle
2nd – Tristan Macaggi (viola) – Student of Dmitri Kourka
3rd – Devon Zubka (cello) – No Teacher