The Dr. Shirley Linzy Young Artists Orchestra of Las Vegas, also known as the Young Artists Orchestra (YAO), is a professional training youth orchestra based out of Las Vegas, NV. Led by Founder & Music Director, Yunior Lopez, the orchestra unites the most talented young musicians up to age 22, who bring their creativity and exceptional musicality to over 15 concerts and events per season. The program is currently comprised of the YAO Symphony featuring 70+ young musicians up to the age of 22, and the YAO Academy with 50+ students up to the age of 16.
Founded on the basis of educating and promoting young musicians, the Young Artists Orchestra is fully dedicated to the artistic, personal, and professional development of outstanding instrumentalists. Through a wide range of performance and instructional activities, the Young Artists Orchestra seeks to develop the skills and qualifications required of twenty-first century musicians. Under the Artistic and Musical direction of Yunior Lopez, the program offers detailed exposure to traditional and modern orchestral repertoire, collaborations with nationally and internationally recognized guest artists, in addition to unique chamber music opportunities. Moreover, it’s one of the few tuition-free youth orchestra programs in the United States.
Since its founding YAO has been responsible for bringing renowned musicians to the city of Las Vegas. Past guest artists include violist Steven Dann (professor of the Royal Conservatory of Music and former Principal Viola of the Royal Concertgebouw), Daniel Hass (Israeli-born solo cellist), Roberto Occhipinti (veteran jazz performer, producer, and educator), and Stanislav Pronin (violin virtuoso and 1st Concertmaster of the Aarhus Symphony), to name a few. Moreover, the program hosts up to 10 masterclasses per season, in addition to chamber music concerts performed alongside professional musicians.
In October 2017 the organization paid homage to one of its biggest supporters by naming the orchestra after the late Dr. Shirley Linzy. Dr. Linzy was the Director & Supervising Nurse at the Adelson Clinic in Las Vegas. Dr. Linzy oversaw the orchestras use of the rehearsal space next to the Adelson Clinic, and was a supporter of the orchestras mission and talent.
WHAT WE OFFER
- The YAO and Academy students have the opportunity to perform in over 15 concerts and events per season, which includes (5) Orchestral Concerts, (4-5) Recital Series Concerts, (4) Student Showcases, (6+) Masterclasses, and select outreach events.
- The YAO collaborates and works alongside nationally and internationally recognized musicians. Past notable guest artists include violist Steven Dann, soprano Rachel Krehm (Opera 5), cellist Daniel Hass, violinist Stanislav Pronin, The Lique, jazz bassist Roberto Occhipinti, pianist Alexandria Le, and many more.
- The music performed by the YAO and Academy are all notable works which regularly performed by professional orchestras around the world. Our musicians are exposed to professional caliber music that challenges them, which allows them to grow as artists.
- The YAO is the only tuition-free youth orchestra program in the State of Nevada. Regardless of background and wealth, we acknowledge and reward talent, hard work, and dedication.
- The tools and discipline learned within the YAO help our students develop life skills needed to become successful citizens.
Our concert season is made possible through the hard work of our family, friends, and sponsors. Please visit our Sponsors Page to view our supporters.
- Kelly DeGuzman, President
- Jennifer Au, Secretary
- Dave Modica, Treasurer
- Yunior Lopez, Executive Director
- Melissa Rios, Assistant Director
Board of Directors
- Dave Modica
- Jennifer Au
- Kelly Deguzman
- Andrew Fackrell
- Manny Gamazo
- Jonathan Krehm
- John Miller
- Stanislav Pronin
- Peter Cosbey
- Yunior Lopez, music director
- Kerry Bennett, conductor
- Yuri Cho, violin coach
- Yunior Lopez, violin/viola coach
- Andy Smith, cello coach
- Moonlight Tran, cello coach
- Brycen Ingersoll, double bass coach
- John Seaton, winds/brass coach
- Manny Gamazo, percussion coach