The Susan D. Barton Music Competition
Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 12 PM
The Performing Arts Center at the Windmill Library
Application deadline: April 15, 2018
The Las Vegas Young Artists Orchestra will host the first annual Susan D. Barton Music Competition on April 22, 2018. Recently named after longtime Las Vegas music teacher, Susan Barton, the competition is open to all students in Southern Nevada regardless of LVYAO affiliation. The competition will be divided into two divisions – a Jr. division for students aged 14 and under, and a Sr. division for students 15-22. Up to $1,000 will be awarded in cash prizes. A preliminary round will be held on Saturday, April 21, 2018.
COMPETITION APPLICATION WILL BE AVAILABLE MARCH 2018
1. Competition is open to all students in Southern Nevada regardless of LVYAO affiliation.
2. Competitors must be under the age of 14 to enter the Jr. Division, and 15-22 to enter the Sr. Division. Age is based on the day of the competition.
3. Musicians may compete with a string, wind, and percussive instrument. Piano students will not be eligible for the 2018 competition. Guitar players are welcome to apply. Please email us if you have eligibility questions.
4. Musicians must have an accompanist for the competition.
5. Each competitor will have up to 10 minutes to perform their selection(s). If the competitor goes over 10 minutes, then the judges will have the final say on when to stop the soloist. Musicians will not be penalized if they are stopped.
6. Competitors may perform more than one movement, but will still have to abide by the 10 minute rule stated in rule (1).
7. All decisions are final. Judges will decide on a first, second, and third place winner in each division.